Thursday, June 11, 2009

For all you moms and moms to be...

I just finished reading the book In Praise of Stay-at-Home Moms by Dr. Laura. I really enjoyed it and got some good insights. Here is a piece I loved:

"One day they can't walk, the next day they're running. One day they can't talk, the next day they won't stop. Everything they see, smell, hear, and do is a new miracle- enjoy the ride, even though the house isn't perfect and your neighbor has more jewelry." (pg. 114)

How true! Time is always going to fly by, and this helps put things in perspective. Sure they can make a mess in seconds that may take an hour to clean up but I am so grateful to witness each new miracle.

Advice from one Stay-at-Home Mom: "I would remind SAHMs that time flies. With my first child I anticipated each stage and kept looking to the next. Now I cherish each stage and appreciate the curled-up little bundle of a newborn, the curiousness and happiness of a toddler, the newfound independence of school-age children... the specialness of each stage. I have found myself saying, 'This is the best stage!' about almost every stage my kids have been in."

I'm grateful that I am able to stay at home and spend time making our house a home. I love being able to see every new discovery Maylee finds. I love when dinner is all ready for us to eat when Jeff gets home from work. I love being able (or trying at least) to get things done during the day so we can relax together at night. Our house definitely isn't perfect -there is always a mess to clean up somewhere- and there are days that seem crazy, but I am so grateful for the opportunity to be home. This book helped reiterate that time flies... so enjoy the ride! :)

No comments: