Friday, August 20, 2010

Pay It Forward

I'm not such a fan of grocery shopping.  I don't really love the experience of pushing a basket around with Brooklyn taking up half the basket because her car seat doesn't sit on the handle bar and Maylee going from the basket, to walking, to the seat, to walking... all while paying attention to my list of things we need and things on sale and what coupons I need to use.

Today wasn't particularly a bad grocery shopping day, but but I was still grateful when we were ready to hop in the check out lane.  I noticed one woman was almost finished unloading her cart, so I dashed in line behind her.  As I began putting my groceries on the checkout stand I noticed the lady talking to the cashier.  And then she stayed there once her groceries were all bagged.  

The sweet woman then came up to me and said she wanted to buy my groceries but to remember it was from the Lord.  I told her that was sweet but she really didn't need to do it, but she insisted and kept reminding me it was not from her but from the Lord.  

I was touched.  I know I will never forget the day when a sweet lady bought my groceries.  I feel kind-of bad in a way- sure we try really hard to save money but we definitely weren't down to our last dollars.  So it is not the kind of story you hear where the family doesn't have enough money to buy groceries but then someone brings them food or buys them groceries.  But it is a story of love and service.  

This woman brightened my day.  I saw the light of our Savior in her eyes.  She was a great example to me of how we can serve one another and be more Christlike.  Now there is only one thing for me to do- pay it forward.      

1 comment:

Alison said...

Wow - that's amazing!