Monday, January 11, 2010

and then there were two...

Two little GIRLS in our family that is! We are expecting a little baby girl to arrive the end of May!

We are very excited for Maylee to have a little sister to bug- I mean play with. Play dolls, read, play kitchen, dress up... all that girlie stuff!

We had our ultrasound on Dec. 21st. One of my friends, Brandi, mentioned the idea of not finding out the gender and then wrapping up the picture and putting it under the Christmas tree to open on Christmas morning. We did that, and it was so much fun to have Jeff's family around to hear the news as we saw it for the first time!

Although it was so exciting to find out the gender, the best news came when we had a level 2 ultrasound the Thursday after Christmas. Our first ultrasound showed something called CP cysts in our little baby's brain. The words cyst and brain sound so scary together. The doctor warned us that these cysts are sometimes associated with Trisomy 18, a severe and deadly form of Down Syndrome. She recommended we go see a high risk OB and have the level 2 ultrasound. I tried not to think about the worst, but what woman wouldn't worry about the little baby growing inside her?

It was so reassuring to go to the level 2 ultrasound. Our little one didn't show any other signs of Trisomy 18. She looked completely healthy!! We also got to see her in 3-D and got to take a CD home with pics and a little video of her moving around enjoying life.

I am so grateful to have this little one inside of me and am so grateful for a Heavenly Father that knows each one of us and listens to our prayers.

The part that looks like her hand by her face is actually her foot!! :)

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you guys. That is so exciting! I like that idea about opening it on Christmas day. So cute!

Aika said...

Oh wow! I'm so glad that everything went ok. That is such a good idea about wrapping it up and and finding out on Christmas day. You are too good, I think I would still sneak and find out what it was. :)

AMY said...

Heidi and Jeff - I'm so glad everything is okay - congrats on your new baby girl!

Erin said...

Heidi, I am so glad that this technology was able to give you comfort, isn't that amazing! Congrats on your new addition, I bet you all cant wait!

Chris and Kristen said...

What a fun Christmas and congrats on another baby girl! I'm so excited for you guys!

Jason and Ashlee said...

I am so very glad everything is ok - no kidding about not worrying. We had a couple of moments like that with Emree.

We are so excited for you guys. She is going to be adorable & Maylee will be a great older sister.

Lets get together some time soon - i'll call ya.

9 Crazy Carters in the Coop said...

Heidi I didn't know anything about this. You mom is very naughty! I am so glad everything is ok. I am with you, I am so grateful for our Heavenly Father that hears our prayers. I just wish that I could have known and I would have been praying all the time with you. Trials have a way a making us stronger even when we didn't think we had the strength. I love you and I am so glad everything is good! We love little girls!
Love
Aunt Keri