Sunday, April 19, 2009

Little Daytrip



modern view of Lower Cliff Dwelling


This past Saturday we decided to get out and see some of good 'ol AZ!  We drove about 115 miles east of Phoenix to the Tonto National Monument.  It is tucked up in the "mountain" overlooking Roosevelt Lake.  Prime real estate!  The trail to get to the dwellings was about half a mile (which was nice since Jeff was the lucky one that got to carry Maylee).  Wildflowers were in full bloom and the weather was quite pleasant!

For the way home, we decided to take the scenic route.  It was a 40 mile "road" (1/2 of it was dirt) that followed the lake down into the different rivers and lakes, such as Apache Lake and Canyon Lake.  The drive was a bit windy and a little steep for me at times, but really cool.  I have never seen so much water in this desert! 

As we were making our way home we came across a little stop called Tortilla Flats.  We helped ourselves to some ice cream cones as we walked around.  All the shops were completely covered in dollar bills inside!  It was crazy.  Not bad wallpaper! :)  

Anyway, it was a fun trip and made for a good Saturday.  Plus, Maylee was perfect!  

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Those pictures make me miss home :). I've done the Apache Lake drive. I think all of us except my Dad (who was driving) got carsick. But I love that area. I even know where Tortilla Flats is...
What a beautiful day trip!